Home Remedies for Oily Face
Skin releases natural oils to retain moisture and protect it from external irritants. However, oily skin is not healthy as it is the leading cause of clogged pores and acne. Hence, it must be controlled.
While the secretion of sebum by your skin is natural, overactive sebaceous glands can clog your pores and cause acne. Myriad factors contribute to excessive sebum secretion like puberty, genetic factors, stress, ultraviolet radiation effect, hormonal changes, over exposure to heat, seasonal changes, pregnancy, birth control and hormonal pills.
Giving away top Seven Home Remedies to get rid of Oily Skin:
1. Egg Whites
High in vitamin A, egg whites can effectively dry out skin blemishes as well as tone and tighten up oily skin.
- Whip one egg white until stiff and spread it on your face. Allow it to dry and then wash it off with warm water. Do this twice a week.
2. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is a good source of citric acid that works like an astringent. It also has antiseptic properties that can lighten skin discolorations and restores the skin’s pH value.
- Mix one teaspoon of fresh lemon juice with half teaspoon of rose water. Apply it on your skin using a cotton ball. Leave it on for 10 minutes and then wash your face with warm water. Lemon juice can dry out your skin, so apply some oil-free moisturizer or aloe vera gel. Do this once daily.
Yogurt contains lactic acid that helps in gently exfoliating the skin. It absorbs excess oil from the face.
- Apply one tablespoon of plain yogurt thoroughly over your face and leave it on for 15 minutes. You can also add half a spoon of rice flour for better absorption of the goodness of yogurt. Rinse it off with cool water. Do this once daily.
Apples work as great exfoliating agent and they have mild antiseptic, astringent, and soothing properties that make them a great home remedy for oily skin. The malic acid in apples helps exfoliate dead skin cells and absorbs excess oil from the skin’s surface.
- Grate half an apple and place the shreds on your face. Leave it on the skin for 15 minutes and then wash it off with lukewarm water.
Cucumbers are also very beneficial for oily skin due to their cooling, astringent, and soothing properties. Also, the high vitamin and mineral content, including vitamins A and E, magnesium, and potassium, are very good for oily skin.
- Cut a fresh organic cucumber into thick slices, and rub them thoroughly on your face. Leave it on overnight and rinse with warm water in the morning. Do this daily before going to bed.
- Alternatively, mix half teaspoon each of cucumber juice and lime juice. Apply this mixture to your skin, let it dry, and then wash it off with warm water. Do this daily. This remedy can also be used to lighten freckles and reduce sunburn.
Honey can help reduce excess oil on the skin’s surface, clear pores and even prevent wrinkles. Honey has moisturizing properties that nourish the skin and keep it sufficiently moisturized without making it oily. Also, the natural antiseptic property of honey is highly beneficial for acne-prone oily skin.
- Apply a thin layer of honey over your face and leave it on for 15 minutes. Then wash your face. Do this twice daily.
7. Fullers Earth
Last and Finally the Most Effective Tip for Oily Skin is Fullers Earth also called as Multani Mitti that is easily available in all Ayurvedic medical stores and Supermarkets.
- Mix 1 tablespoon fullers earth and half tablespoon sandal wood powder with rose water till you get a paste of thin consistency. Apply it thoroughly on face and neck and let it dry completely. It amazingly absorbs all the excess oil leaving you fresh the whole day. It also helps in reducing acne and dark spots. Use this every alternate day.
Categories: Home Remedies